Jul 23, 2021  

Veterans’ Education Benefits & Services

Return to: Student Handbook  

The University is approved for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines eligibility for VA educational assistance. Their regional office is located in St. Louis, Missouri. University services for students who receive educational assistance through the DVA are located in the Administration Building, first floor, room 121 in the Office of Student Financial Services. Information concerning VA educational assistance may be obtained by phone 269-471-3286, email veterans@andrews.edu, or a visit to the Office of Veterans Services. VA forms used for making application for educational assistance are available at the GI Bill webpage: gibill.va.gov. A printed copy of an application submitted online to the VA will be required by the University’s Office of Veterans Services.

It is the responsibility of the student to complete a Veterans Registration form every term to continue receiving G.I. Bill money. The form is available in the Office of Veterans Services. Each term the required Certification of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999) will be electronically submitted by the University’s Veterans Certifying Official (VCO) to the VA Regional Processing Office after the last day to add or drop a course. An earlier date for certification may be requested if the veteran feels certain his/her schedule will not be changed.

Students receiving benefits are expected to attend all classes and to progress satisfactorily toward their objective. Any change of degree program, change with class registration or withdrawal from school must be reported immediately to the VCO in the Office of Veterans Services. Failure to comply with VA regulations may result in loss of benefits and/or legal action on the part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If the student does not make satisfactory academic progress and is academically dismissed from the University, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is notified and all veterans’ benefits are ended by the USDVA. If a veteran is academically dismissed from the University but is later readmitted, the VA benefits cannot be resumed until the veteran has met the University requirements for reinstatement.