May 23, 2024  

School Counseling MA

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges, Departments & Programs

The School Counseling curriculum prepares students for counseling in elementary and secondary schools.

The program includes the course work and experiences required for endorsement as a school counselor. Students working toward certification as K–12 school counselors should consult with the coordinator of the School Counseling program about the requirements of the state where they plan to work. Some states require teacher certification in order to obtain school counselor endorsement.

Students enrolled in the MA in School Counseling program must sign a Conviction Clearance form, certifying they have not been convicted of (or pleaded no contest to) a misdemeanor or felony.  This form must be signed at three points in their program: prior to registering for their first class, prior to registering for GDPC 655 Internship in Counseling and beginning their internship, and prior to applying for certification as a school counselor through the Office of Teacher Certification at Andrews University. Students must also have fingerprints on file with the Michigan State Police. Having a prior conviction may make it impossible to complete the program.

MA Degree Requirements

Total MA Degree Credits: 60


Due to the sequential nature of the School Counseling program, students must begin full-time study in the fall semester if they are to complete in two academic years.

Students are required to attend a minimum of eight weekly personal counseling sessions during the first semester of enrollment. These sessions may be arranged with the University’s Counseling & Testing Center or in the public sector by a licensed therapist. A letter verifying the completion of these eight sessions is required by the end of the first semester.

Continuation in the School Counseling program is based upon a periodic review, by the department, of the student’s academic performance and personal qualifications as a school counselor.

A student who already possesses a master’s degree and wishes to qualify for certification as a school counselor should consult with the Coordinator of the MA in School Counseling program.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges, Departments & Programs