Oct 23, 2017
Dual Degree Program Description
The Dual Degree Program in Community and International Development (CIDP) and Youth and Young Adult Ministry (MAYYAM) allows students to complete two degrees in three years. To facilitate this objective, the two programs will reduce the total number of required credits and will share a practicum and a limited number of elective courses. This amounts to a total of 69 credits to fulfill the Dual Degree.
- The MAYYAM program is a 48-credit degree but it will share (use) six elective credits with the CIDP program thereby reducing MAYYAM credits to 42.
- The CIDP program will reduce the required number of credits from 39 to 30 by removing the concentration requirement. In addition, up to two CIDP elective credits can be fulfilled through MAYYAM courses reducing the CIDP credits to 28. Finally, CIDP’s 1-credit Practicum requirement will be fulfilled through MAYYAM’s required practicum. Reducing the CIDP credits to 27.
Since both the CIDP and MAYYAM programs reduce the total credits in order to reduce costs and achieve a more streamlined and efficient program, both degrees must be received simultaneously in order to fulfill the requirements of either degree.
Combined Total Credits - 69
CIDP Program Requirements - 30
Development Management - 11
Practicum - 1
- This course is fulfilled through the MAYYAM degree practicum course
Electives - 2
- These electives are fulfilled through MAYYAM degree courses.
CIDP Admission Requirements
Applicants to the regular two-year standing program must meet the following creteria, in addition to other general admission requirements of the Andrews University School of Graduate Studies & Research.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or 3.50 in 8 or more credits of previously taken graduate courses graded A-F. Students may be admitted provisionally with a GPA of 2.6 or higher. Such students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher during their first 12 graduate credits to continue in the program;
- Completed Graduate Application packet.
- Completed coursework in Accounting, Statistics and Research II. Provisional acceptance may be granted without these courses, and the student would be expected to take them during the first year of enrollment. Credits for prerequisites do not apply toward the MSCID.
The director of the program may request a personal interview or a third reference and/or other information.
Students who apply for admission to the MSCID program have two options related to the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). For those students who are seeking a graduate scholarship, the GRE must be taken. Scholarship amounts are based on the score achieved on the exam. For students who do not seek a graduate scholarship based on the GRE score, the GRE is not required.
A reading knowledge of a foreign language is strongly recommended for those planning on graduate work.
CIDP Additional Information
Students have the opportunity to apply for graduate assistantships - administrative, teaching or research.
MAYYAM Total Credits - 42
MAYYAM Program Requirements - 48
Youth Ministry Emphasis - 12
Youth Ministry Electives - 6
- DSRE 503 - Marriage, Family, and Interpersonal Relationships Credits: 3
- DSRE 619 - Religious Experience in Adolescence Credits: 2,3
- DSRE 626 - Ministry to At-Risk Youth Credits: 2,3
- DSRE 636 - Seminar in Youth Ministry Credits: 2,3 (Choose no more than two topics from Campus Chaplaincy, Children’s Ministry, Adolescent Ministry, Young Adult Ministry, Youth Evangelism, Visionary Leadership, African-American Youth Ministry, Hispanic Youth Ministry)
- DSRE 678 - Spiritual Nurture of Children Credits: 2,3
- CHMN 553 - The Church and Social Issues Credits: 2,3
- CHMN 555 - Pastoral Counseling Credits: 2,3
- CHMN 574 - Perspectives in Church Marketing Credits: 2,3
- CHMN 616 - Spirituality in Ministry Credits: 2,3
- CHMN 623 - Innovative Evangelism Credits: 2,3
- CHMN 656 - Holistic Small Groups Credits: 2,3
Electives - 6
- These electives are fulfilled through the CIDP course requirements.
MAYYAM Denominational Certification
The Basic Teaching Certificate for denominational certification may be issued to the candidate presenting a Verification of Eligibility form from Andrews University. The certificate is issued by the union conference where the candidate takes his/her first teaching position.
Requirements for this certificate may be completed by taking additional courses along with the MA in Youth and Young Adult Ministry. More information about preparing to teach religion in Adventist schools is available from the University Certification Registrar in the School of Education.
MAYYAM Graduation Requirements
The MA in Youth and Young Adult Ministry degree is awarded upon successful completion of a minimum of 48 semester credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better. A minimum of 24 semester credits are to be taken at the Theological Seminary or at an authorized extension center. The course work for the MA in Youth and Young Adult Ministry normally should be completed within seven years.
MAYYAM Additional Information
A maximum of 24 transfer graduate credits, when applicable, may be accepted from approved seminaries or universities upon approval of the dean. Credits approved under the Credit Through Learning in Professional Experience provision (see below) are considered part of the maximum of 24 transfer credits.