Feb 04, 2023  

Student Life

A more complete list of University Student Life expectations can be found in the Student Planner/Handbook.

Student Life  
  Campus Center, Main Floor 471-3215
Campus Ministries  
  Campus Center, Main Floor 471-3211
Campus Safety  
  International Court 471-3321
Counseling & Testing Center  
  Bell Hall (Education Building) 471-3470
  Administration Building, Main Floor 471-3570
Graduate Student Association  
  Campus Center, Ground Floor 471-6606
  Lamson Hall 471-3446
  Meier Hall 471-3390
  University Apartments 471-6979
  University Towers 471-3670
International Student Services  
  Campus Center, Main Floor 471-6395
  Johnson Gym 471-3965
Student Activities & Athletics  
  Campus Center, Main Floor 471-3615
Student Health & Counseling  
  University Medical Specialties 473-2222
Student Insurance  
  Administration Building, Main Floor 471-3097
Student Success Center  
  Nethery Hall, Second Floor 471-6096
Undergraduate Leadership  
  Campus Center, Main Floor 471-6636
Undergraduate Student Association  
  Campus Center, Ground Floor 471-3250

Our Values, Your Choice

Andrews University is a Christian community where Christ is celebrated and reflected in the academic, social, physical and spiritual experiences of its members. As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, we seek to integrate faith, learning and living, while each of us matures in our relationships with God and each other.

By deciding to attend Andrews University, students choose to be part of this uniquely Christian atmosphere. Every enrolled undergraduate student pursuing an on-campus degree signs a Community Values Agreement in which they affirm their decision:

  1. To attend a faith-based institution by respecting Andrews University’s Seventh-day Adventist Christian perspective and values. See the section “A Faith-Based University.”
  2. To adopt a wholesome lifestyle guided on- and off-campus by the core values of the Andrews University community. See the section “A Wholesome Lifestyle.”
  3. To live on a residential campus in a University residence hall while single and under the age of 22 and to participate in a meal plan at the University’s vegetarian cafeteria (unless living in the community with parents). See the section “A Residential Campus.”  
  4. To be part of a gathered community by attending required weekly co-curricular programs including chapels, forums and other developmental programs as part of the educational requirement. See the section “A Gathered and Growing Community.”

Distance degree and PTC (Permission to Take Classes for non-degree purposes) students complete a Community Values Agreement in which they note their understanding and respect of the Andrews University commitment to embrace core Seventh-day Adventist Christian values.  Distance degree and PTC students are invited to consider these values as they strive to remain in good standing with their local communities and to optimize the benefits of the University’s whole-person educational philosophy. 

A Faith-Based University

Seventh-day Adventist Faith and Values

Students attending Andrews University soon learn that our Seventh-day Adventist faith and values set us apart. Our distinctive Christian perspective, guided by our understanding of Scripture, informs our faith as well as our practice. This becomes evident as students encounter a seventh-day Sabbath of rest and worship, wholesome recreational and entertainment choices, an emphasis on healthful living, concern for others through local and global service, the care of dedicated staff and professors, and a hopeful view of the present and future as found in Jesus Christ.

Campus Ministries

The Office of Campus Ministries ensures faith development through appropriate pastoral care, resources and services to the University campus. The University chaplain and associate chaplains function to enrich the faith and intellectual life of the campus by providing a variety of ministries appropriate to a spiritual, cultural and socially diverse student and professional body and to collaborate with other faith development leaders of the University community. The chaplains operate at a level that ignites the passion of those who have been transformed by or are considering a relationship with Jesus Christ from the unique perspective of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. 

The essential question for the existence for AUCM is embraced in the transformative verse central to the Gospel of John, “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” - John 14:6 NKJV. Embracing the ethos of Andrews University, AUCM believes:

  • we Seek the Way: fostering and leading corporate and personal worship on campus.
  • we Affirm the Truth: creating places to explore and own our faith.
  • we Change the Life: encouraging the application of thoughtful, sensitive and tangible experiences.

A Gathered and Growing Community

Andrews University offers a rich learning environment inside and outside the classroom. As part of earning a degree, undergraduate students are expected to engage in out-of-class learning. This complements classroom education and allows students to document valuable experiences that can be shared with graduate schools and prospective employers. 

Learning Outcomes. Co-curricular learning targets individual and campus community outcomes in four areas.

  • A Healthy U focuses on physical fitness, sustainable nutrition and personal well-being.
  • A Successful U focuses on academic skills, creative capacities and career readiness.
  • A Committed U focuses on faith development, spiritual support and Christian influence.
  • A Better U focuses on cultural competence, service orientation and leadership development. 

Together with the academic curriculum, these programs deliver the whole-person education at the heart of Andrews University’s mission.

Co-Curricular Choices and Changes.  Four types of co-curricular programs are offered:

  1. Tuesday and Thursday Choices meet each week during the 11:30 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. period.
    1. Tuesdays offer a variety of programs, including University Forums, Departmental Assemblies and several Workshop Series. These programs are focused on academic, professional and personal development.
    2. On Thursdays the University community meets for Chapel in Pioneer Memorial Church to explore and celebrate faith.
  2. Residence Hall Choices occur throughout the week in the residence halls.
  3. Other Campus Choices include Friday Vespers, Student Concerts and Recitals, Student Gallery Openings and educational programs planned by student organizations and campus departments.
  4. Changes. Co-curricular credit is given to students who reflect on their involvement in a student organization, volunteer agency, campus ministry, workplace or local church. One credit is given for each hour of involvement, for a maximum of 7-10 hours per semester. A Learning Reflection must be completed in order to receive credit.  Please contact Student Life for more information.

Co-Curricular Fee. A co-curricular fee is assessed at the end of each semester. Like tuition, proceeds cover the costs of delivering educational content. This fee accumulates based on nonattendance. There will be a fee of $25 for the first credit short of the required number and $11 for every credit short thereafter. A maximum of $344 may be charged to traditional students and $124 to non-traditional students per semester. As an incentive for participation, this fee can be minimized or completely eliminated by fulfilling the requirement.

Attendance Requirement. Engaging in out-of-class learning is part of earning an Andrews degree and should receive the same weight as classes when planning work schedules and overall academic load.

1. Traditional Undergraduates. All traditional undergraduates are required to attend 30 co-curricular programs a semester, meeting one or two minimums (below) as part of the total requirement.

  • Tuesday/Thursday Minimum. Students must attend a minimum of 15 Choices offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the 11:30 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. period.
  • Residence Hall Minimum. Students residing in a campus residence hall are required to attend a minimum of 8 Choices offered in their residence hall each semester.
  • The remaining credits can be invested in ways that best support your life and career goals. A maximum of 7-10 credits may be earned through experiential learning in the Changes program.

2. Non-Traditional Undergraduates. Students 25 years and older or who are parents with a child in their care are identified as non-traditional. Non-traditional undergraduates are required to accrue only 10 credits a semester, drawn from any of the available programs. They also have the option of viewing programs online and submitting a report in lieu of physical attendance. Parents under the age of 25 must present a copy of their child’s birth certificate to the Student Life office in order to receive non-traditional status.

3. Exempted Undergraduates. Marital status or work conflicts do not exempt students from attendance. However, if an undergraduate student is registered for 7 or fewer credits, pursuing a second bachelor’s degree or has earned 120 credit hours or more by the beginning of the semester, the student is welcome but not required to attend programs. Earned credit hours can be viewed using the University Academic Record link on the iVue page. Do not use the CAPP program to figure earned credit hours.

Co-Curricular Requirement At-a-Glance 

Student Status 

Traditional Residential

Traditional Community


Tuesday/Thursday Minimum

15 minimum

15 minimum

No minimum

Residence Hall Minimum

8 minimum

No minimum

No minimum

Changes Maximum

7 maximum

10 maximum

No maximum

 Total Required

 30 credits

30 credits

10 credits

Pass/Fail System. Traditional undergraduates must complete at least 60% of the co-curricular requirement in order to pass for the semester. Students who fall short of the pass level will be placed on co-curricular probation.

Completion Level Co-Curricular Credits Earned
Pass 18-30
Fail (Co-Curricular Probation) 0-17

Co-Curricular Probation and Registration Hold. Students placed on co-curricular probation at the end of a semester will be allowed to continue their studies the following semester. However, a hold will be placed on future registration until the pass level is achieved in the new semester. A continued pattern of failing attendance will result in the withholding of registration privileges for a period of one semester.

Absences due to occasional field trips, medical appointments, illness, or family emergencies will not be excused. Students should plan to offset these conflicts with attendance at other programs. However, those who miss a Tuesday or Thursday Choice for one of these reasons may have the option to view a missed program online (if it has been recorded) and file a report. Please contact the Student Life office within one week of your absence.

Attendance Monitoring. Students are responsible for keeping track of their attendance throughout the semester. To access your attendance record, go to the Andrews Vault and click on “The Co-Curriculum.” If programs you have attended do not show up on your record, please report the program within 21 days using the “Missing Programs” link in your record.

A Residential Campus

Residential Living Policy

Andrews University is operated as a residential college on the undergraduate level. This means that the residential environment plays a significant role in the mission of the University and its efforts to foster the holistic development of each student. 

Therefore, all single undergraduate students under 22 years of age who are 1) pursuing an on-campus degree and taking seven or more credits (including distance learning courses) or 2) enrolled in full-time language study must live in one of the University residence halls and participate in a meal plan at the University’s cafeteria. Single undergraduate students are eligible for community living at the beginning of the semester in which they turn 22 years of age. 

Costs associated with residence hall living are part of the investment in an Andrews University education, thus the Student Life office does not make exceptions on the basis of financial need.

The ONLY alternatives to residence hall living are:

  1. Students who live full-time with parents within a 45-mile radius of the University under the terms of an approved Community Residential Agreement.
  2. Students who live full-time with a current Andrews University faculty or staff family within a 45-mile radius of the University under the terms of an approved Community Residential Agreement.

Community Residential Agreement forms can be obtained in the Student Life office. Agreements must be signed in person in the Student Life office by students and parents or employee hosts. Parents must provide a copy of their current Michigan or Indiana driver’s license with a local address as proof of community residency.

Returning residential students under 22 years of age who meet the criteria for being released from on-campus housing assignments and desire to move off campus must submit applications to the Student Life office prior to the semester of their expected move for approval (deadline schedule below). Submitting an application before the deadline does not mean it is approved. The assistant to the vice president for Student Life will respond to all requests within five to ten business days of the deadline.

Semester expected to move Application deadline Decision rendered by
Fall 2013 July 15 July 30
Spring 2014 November 5 November 19

Please note the additional conditions of this policy:

  1. A “parent” is a biological parent or legal step-parent. The parent of a parent, the brother or sister of a parent, or siblings 22 years or older may also be allowed, at the discretion of the Student Life office, to assume a parental role.
  2. To be eligible for community housing, students must be in good and regular standing and evidence a willingness to abide by the expectations of Andrews University at the time of application.
  3. Students living with parents are expected to abide by the standards and codes of conduct outlined in the Student Handbook.
  4. Under the terms of the Community Residential Agreement, parents or employee hosts must notify Student Life of any changes of address, conduct concerns, irregularities or any concern that impacts the welfare of the student.
  5. Parents and employee hosts must agree to live on a daily basis in the same household as the student (students may not live in a separate apartment with a different entrance in the same house) and to notify the Student Life office if the living arrangements cease to meet this requirement. Parents and hosts owning or renting more than one residence may not divide their time between residences during the school year.
  6. Reapplication for living in the community must be made EACH school year.
  7. False statements made to the University on a Community Residential Agreement will jeopardize an applicant’s student status and ability to reside in the community and may result in additional consequences and/or fines.

Residence Halls

The University maintains three residence halls: Lamson Hall (for women), Meier Hall (for men), and University Towers. University Towers is a residence hall designed for single, older students—Damazo is for undergraduate age 22+ and graduate females, while Burman is for undergraduate age 21+ and graduate males. Double-occupancy rooms are standard. Single occupancy is permitted by special request, if space allows, for an additional fee.

Apartments and Houses for Rent

The University owns approximately 300 apartments and 30 houses. The apartments are available to married students, students with children, and single undergraduate age 22+ and graduate students. Accommodations are available only to those who have been officially accepted as University students. Since apartments are limited, applicants are advised to apply six to nine months before their first semester of studies.

Most apartments are furnished. Tenants must supply their own linen, draperies and kitchen utensils. Unfurnished apartments have a stove and refrigerator. Heavy furniture and pianos may be placed in the apartments only by prior arrangement with the University Apartments director. Pets are not allowed in University apartments or houses. The apartment descriptions, rental rates and application forms are available upon request.

Further information on University housing may be obtained through the University Apartments Handbook available from the University Apartments office. Please visit the website at www.andrews.edu/housing for applications and further information.

If internet access is desired in the apartments, a modem must be obtained from the Office of University Apartments. There is a $100 refundable deposit required for this.

Other Accommodations

Some area landlords have their names and phone numbers on record at the University Apartments office. Students may consult or copy this list.

Non-Residence Hall Housing

Students living in non-residence hall housing must abide by the expectations outlined in the Student Handbook and the non-residence hall housing policy. All students living off-campus must maintain high moral standards in their choice of guests and entertainment; otherwise, they could be subject to discipline. Unmarried, unrelated students must not live in the same shared dwelling with members of the opposite sex.

A Wholesome Lifestyle

Core Christian Values

Students who choose to attend Andrews University agree to adopt a wholesome lifestyle and to maintain high standards of conduct. These standards are part of the spiritual mission and heritage of the University. They reflect biblically grounded values such as honesty, modesty, sexual purity, respect for others and their safety, and healthful living.

Code of Student Conduct

The Code of Student Conduct is detailed in the Student Handbook and provides examples of violations that may result in serious consequences. Students may obtain a copy of the Handbook at the Student Life office (or online at www.andrews.edu/sl). Any regulation adopted and published by the administration in more informal written communication or online has the same force as regulations printed in official publications.

Code violations include, but are not limited to, the use or possession of tobacco, alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs or dishonestly acquired or misused prescription drugs; dishonesty; sexual immorality; physical and sexual assault; theft; vandalism; patronizing night clubs, dances, bars, taverns, gambling places, parties/places of residence where alcohol is served and other places of questionable entertainment; profanity or vulgarity; possessing lewd or obscene materials; possessing weapons, firearms or look-alike firearms; disrespect or slander; engaging in improper associations—participating in organizations that have not been registered with and approved by the Student Life office; insubordination of a University official; threatening and harassing behavior.


Admission to the University is not a right. It is a privilege that entails acceptance of individual responsibility for honor, integrity and self-discipline. The University understands that all human beings are flawed and seeks to work with each student in a redemptive manner. However, students should expect to receive consequences up to and including dismissal from the University if they engage in activities or behaviors that violate the University’s core values or if their presence damages the mission and function of the institution. This includes activities and behaviors outlined in the Code of Student Conduct, whether these activities and behaviors take place on-campus, off-campus, or in cyber communities.

Community Values Agreement

Undergraduates are required to sign a Community Values Agreement as part of their registration each academic year. By signing this document, students agree to support a wholesome lifestyle and to respect the faith-based values of the University. They also agree to abide by the University’s residential policy and to participate in required co-curricular programs.

Student Activities and Organizations

The University encourages students to participate in as many extra-curricular activities and organizations as their study-work loads permit. Experience gained in working with others to achieve common goals provides invaluable training. Some of the more prominent campus organizations and activities are described below. A complete list of campus organizations is available from the Student Life office.

Andrews University Student Association (AUSA) and Publications

The Student Association serves all undergraduate students enrolled at Andrews University for 5 or more credits. AUSA sponsors recreational and educational activities for the undergraduate student body. It responds to student needs and serves as a collective voice for student concerns. Additionally, it coordinates activities that include the publishing of the Cast (pictorial student directory), the Cardinal (University yearbook), and the Student Movement (University student paper). The editors and managers of these publications are approved by the Student Senate and elected by the members of AUSA. The Senate, composed of about 30 student leaders, exercises legislative and management powers given to it by the constitution of the association.

Student committees—Educational Standards, Student Services, Social Recreation and Student Life—are additional activities of AUSA. Details about AUSA and its sub-organizations appear in the Andrews University Student Association Constitution and Bylaws.

Andrews University Graduate Student Association

All graduate students enrolled with regular or provisional status in a degree program in all schools and colleges at the Berrien Springs campus of Andrews University are automatically members of the Andrews University Graduate Student Association (AUGSA). The AUGSA assembly includes all AUGSA members and is governed by elected officers who meet regularly and report to the assembly.

The AUGSA sponsors social, spiritual and scholarly activities during the school year. It may also be involved in University policy development that affects graduate students. Details about AUGSA are found in the Constitution of the Andrews University Graduate Student Association.

Student Clubs and Organizations

Numerous campus organizations serve the social, spiritual, academic and leisure interests of students. Kappa Phi Gamma and Sigma Psi Delta include all women and men, respectively, who reside in college residence halls. Clubs for international and cultural groups, as well as those for commonly held pursuits and causes, provide for the diverse interests of students. Student organizations must be overseen by a full-time staff or faculty sponsor, led by at least three student officers, and guided by an official constitution. Organizations must register each year with Student Activities in order to function on campus. Students are not allowed to participate in unregistered organizations, and those who do jeopardize their student status. A list of registered organizations can be found on the Student Life website at www.andrews.edu/sl.  

Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), gives students certain rights relating to educational records that are created and maintained by the University. The University is not obligated to maintain educational records and thus some educational records are destroyed. Students may inspect and review their educational records and may, if they believe the records are incorrect, seek to have records corrected through appropriate review procedures. The full policy that governs student records and access to them is available in the Student Handbook. Students who wish to review their academic records should make a request through the Office of Academic Records; students who wish to review their Student Life records should make a request through the Student Life office. The student may be asked to care for the reproduction costs of copies of records requested by the student.

Information Released to Third Parties

In accordance with FERPA, Andrews University does not disclose personally identifiable information from educational records without a student’s consent except in limited circumstances. FERPA does permit institutions to define classes of information as “directory information.” FERPA permits the disclosure of directory information without the consent of the student, unless the student has informed the University Registrar, in writing, of her/his refusal to permit the dissemination of directory information. A form for opting out of the disclosure of directory information, which must be filled out and submitted each semester, is available in the Office of Registrar. The University has designated the following information as “directory information”: name, local address, local telephone number, e-mail address, gender, marital status, hometown, date and place of birth, school, academic program (degree, major and minor), enrollment status, class standing/classification (ie., freshman, sophomore, junior, senior or graduate), participation in officially recognized activities, dates of attendance, degree(s) received, honors and awards, and photographs. Even where directory information may be released, Andrews University reserves the right to withhold such information from third parties.

Safety Regulations

Andrews University expects students to develop safe working habits. Students who participate in classes, laboratories or activities involving situations considered hazardous, as specified by the state or national standards, must provide and wear any such required personal safety equipment. If you are unsure of the required safety procedures please contact Campus Safety at 269-471-3321.

Motor Vehicles

Any student in good standing with the University will be allowed to register their vehicle with Campus Safety to drive it on campus.

Vehicle Registration

All motor vehicles on campus must be registered with Campus Safety. Decals are issued when a vehicle is registered and must be affixed immediately. Failure to register a vehicle may result in a fine.

Auto Licensing

All vehicles on campus must maintain current home state license plates.

Auto Insurance

All vehicles must be covered with liability insurance while driven on campus. Expiration or cancellation of insurance automatically revokes motor-vehicle registration and driving privileges. All vehicles must be maintained in legal operating condition while on property. Regulations governing the use of motor vehicles are described in the brochure “Student Right-to-Know Report,” available from the Office of Campus Safety.

Dining Services

The Office of Dining Services is located on the first floor of the Campus Center. The Dining Center is located on the second floor and features several stations for your dining pleasure. Andrews Classics features old and new favorite hot foods. A grill area features a varying selection of specialty foods that are self-serve for your convenience.

The Salad Bar and Deli area has fresh produce and a variety of delicious breads to make your own panini. World Market features whole grain pizzas and a variety of delicious stir fry options with scratch-made sauces. Breakfast Zone offers waffles, cereal, an assortment of beverages and yogurt.

The beautiful Dining Room is equipped with booth seating as well as table seating next to the large stone fireplace. Several smaller conference rooms can accommodate your private group needs. Our catering concierge will be happy to assist you with seasonal and creative fresh food ideas and personal service.

The Gazebo is located downstairs across from the Office of Dining Services. It features grill items, pastries from a local bakery, and express line items that include salads, parfaits and gourmet sandwiches. There is a C-store area that sells convenience items and snacks.

Our vending services for snacks and beverages are available in many of the campus buildings.

Dining Services provides delicious vegetarian and vegan options. Additional information and menus are available on the Dining Services website at www.andrews.edu/life/dining.

Medical Services

Required Medical Records

Michigan State Law requires all first-time students to supply certain medical records to the school of their choice before registration can be completed. The required records are those for (1) Tuberculosis Screening and (2) Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (German Measles) Immunization (MMR). See the admission section of this bulletin for detailed requirements.

Available Medical Care

For health needs, students may contact University Medical Specialties, located next to the Apple Valley Plaza. Phone 269-473-2222 during office hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Thursday, and 8 a.m.–12 noon, Friday) to schedule appointments.

Physician appointments and nurse visits, as well as most short-term medications, are available to residence-hall students. These services are included in the rent/health plan and are not charged separately to the student. However, charges are made for lab work, X-rays and accident cases involving third-party liability.

Non-residence-hall students living in the apartments or off-campus housing may use University Medical Specialties for a fee.

For emergencies outside of regularly scheduled office hours, students may reach a physician at 269-473-2222.

Health-related Concerns


Every international student in “student status” and every other student registered for 6 or more credit hours is required to be covered by an Accident and Sickness insurance plan by filling out the student insurance section in Registration Central. The payment for this coverage is charged to the student’s account the same as tuition and is non-refundable. Students who have proof of the same kind of insurance coverage elsewhere may waive the University plan by presenting their insurance card or a letter from an employer verifying coverage, and by submitting information regarding their coverage in the student insurance portion of Registration Central. Coverage for a student’s spouse and dependent children is also available for an additional fee. All students from outside of the United States must cover dependents who accompany the student to the States. A brochure describing the insurance coverage is available at the Student Insurance office in the Administration Building or online at http://www.andrews.edu/HR/documents/sibrochure.pdf. Students will note that this is minimal coverage and may not cover some pre-existing conditions. Consequently, some students may want to consider purchasing additional personal coverage.

Counseling & Testing Center

The Counseling & Testing Center is the primary mental health care facility for the University and serves as a supportive medium aimed at enhancing the positive and learning University environment as it provides, at no charge, timely and comprehensive short-term counseling to University students and their spouses. The Center is staffed by licensed psychologists and counselors committed to utilizing all available resources in the delivery of services which include personal, group, premarital and marital counseling; career development; outreach and consultation; teaching and research; and training and supervision. The center endorses a wholistic approach in working with students by facilitating the integration of the emotional, spiritual, physical and social qualities of the individual.

The Counseling & Testing Center is fully accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services (IACS) and serves as a training facility for graduate counseling and social work interns. Psychological testing, career assessment and other testing services are offered for a nominal fee.

National standardized testing–including the ACT, SAT, GRE, LSAT, PRAXIS, MELAB, TOEFL, CLEP and other academic tests needed at both the undergraduate and graduate levels–is offered at the Counseling & Testing Center. To contact the Center call 269-471-3470 or e-mail the staff at: ctcenter@andrews.edu.

Student Employment

Eligibility Pre-Employment I-9 Form

Before working on campus, all students (both U.S. citizens and others) must personally have a validation interview with an Employment Officer (Administration Building) at which time the officer and the student will make a joint sworn statement on the appropriate I-9 legal declaration form.

Employment Eligibility Certification

The Immigration Reform and Control Act charges all employers to examine and verify certain documents that establish the employment eligibility of all new employees. New and returning students who have not completed an I-9 for Andrews University work in the past and who plan to seek any employment on the Andrews University campus must supply documents of identity and employability. Some documents serve for both purposes (List A), but if not available, two documents may be presented (one each from List B and List C). The following are acceptable documents:

List A

Documents That Establish Both Identity and Employment Eligibility:

  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  • Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  • In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
  • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI

List B

Documents That Establish Identity:

  • Driver’s license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States if it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  • ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter’s registration card
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present an identity document listed above (for List B):

  • School report or report card
  • Clinic, doctor or hospital record
  • Day-care or nursery school record

List C

Documents That Establish Employment Eligibility:

  • A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions: 1) NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT, 2) VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION, 3) VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Native American tribal document
  • Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen of the United States (Form I-179)
  • Unexpired employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security

All documents presented must be original.

A parent or legal guardian may sign the I-9 form, attesting that the applicant is under age 18. However, such an applicant must present an employment eligibility item from the above list if a document proving both identity and employment eligibility is not available.

The Office of Employment

The Office of Employment, which is part of Human Resources, assists students in their on-campus employment needs. The office provides information regarding employment opportunities and assistance with necessary paperwork, administers employment tests and is responsible for updating employment files. The office is located in the Administration Building, Second Floor.

Office of Employment
Telephone: 269-471-3570
Fax: 269-471-6293
Email: employment@andrews.edu
Website: www.andrews.edu/hr

Students desiring part-time employment must be enrolled full-time (12 undergraduate credits, eight graduate credits or nine Master of Divinity credits) and they must complete the necessary paperwork at the Office of Employment.

The University allows students to work, as work is available, up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. To maximize work opportunities, the student should schedule their classes so that large portions of the mornings or afternoons are free. Professional performance and conduct is expected in all on-campus employment.

Employment (International Students)

An international student on a non-immigrant F-1 visa is permitted to work on-campus a maximum of 20 hours per week during the school year and full-time during school breaks and vacations. Dependents with F-2 visa status cannot work on- or off-campus under any circumstances.

Exchange Visitor students on a non-immigrant J-1 visa are allowed to work on-campus a maximum of 20 hours per week during the school year and full-time during school breaks and vacations. Dependents with J-2 visa status are allowed to study full-time and to work after they receive a work permit called the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the USCIS. J-1 students are allowed to work off campus on a severe economic hardship basis.

Other Campus Services

Other campus services include a barber shop, a beauty shop and the University-branch post office.

Immigration Information for International Students

International students on F-1 or J-1 visas (including dependents) who come to study at Andrews University (AU) should be informed about the immigration laws and regulations in matters related to their visa status. It is the responsibility of the international student to maintain his/her student visa and I-20 status at all times. Failure to follow immigration regulations, whether intentional or unintentional, is a violation of the student visa status. Consequently, the status of the international student would be terminated and he/she must apply to the USCIS to be reinstated back into the legal student visa status or be faced with possible deportation.

The personnel at International Student Services (ISS) consists of the director, called the Principle Designated School Official (PDSO), and the Designated School Official (DSO). They are appointed by Andrews University and authorized by United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) to issue I-20 and sign legal students’ documents. The Undertreasurer Department of the General Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist Church is certified to issue the document DS2019 which enables the exchange visitor to obtain the J-1 visa to enter the U.S. The certified undertreasurer person is called the Responsible Officer, who presently is assisted by two Alternate Responsible (ARO) Officers. The director of the Office of International Student Services at Andrews University is one of the alternate Responsible Officers. The PDSO, DSO and ARO are also required to advise international students in areas related to student life on campus such as study, work and travel, etc.

The Office of International Student Services communicates information to the international students in matters related to the government laws and immigration by several methods. First, the orientation for new international students is required upon arrival at Andrews University. Failure to attend the orientation program will result in a fine to the student of $75. In addition, they will have to attend a rescheduled orientation program in order to register for the semester. Other means of communication include the AU Bulletin, the international student services website, the Andrews Agenda and e-mail. All international students are required to immediately update the Office of International Student Services of any changes in their student visa status, address, change of major or change of academic level.

General requirements for maintaining status as international students:

  1. Have at all times a valid passport.
  2. Continue to carry a full course of study.
  3. Leave the United States once the courses for the academic program are completed, unless the student applies for a work permit (F-1: OPT, J-1: Academic Training).
  4. Apply through the Office of International Student Services for a new I-20 if it is desired to change programs or to continue for another academic level within the same school.
  5. Keep the I-20 (F-1) or DS2019 (J-1) updated at all times.
  6. Maintain a legal work permit (on- or off-campus according to USCIS regulations).

Tuberculosis Testing: All international students must submit a negative (clear) TB test prior to admission.

Attendance at Another School

International students that come to study with an Andrews University I-20 or the General Conference DS2019 should always maintain a full course of study at Andrews University. With an Andrews University I-20, international students may take additional classes from other schools if approved by the academic advisor and the Office of International Student Services.

The Department of Homeland Security established a new system to track all international students who are admitted to study in the United States. It is called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). It is administered by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), a division of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). This is a web-based system for maintaining information on international students and exchange visitors in the United States.

Transfer to Another School in the U.S.

J-1 students who want to change schools or their academic program must first check with their sponsoring organizations. If an F-1 student intends to change schools for any reason during the program, or after receiving a degree, he/she must initiate a transfer and obtain a new I-20 from the new school. The transfer instructions that need to be followed are normally given by the new school. Once the receiving school is ready to issue the new I-20, the student should inform the ISS office so that the student’s current legal file can be transferred electronically to the new school.

Full Course of Study

USCIS requires every student on an F-1 or DS2019 student visa to enroll full-time every semester at the school they are authorized to attend beginning immediately after the report date on the I-20 or DS2019. Full-time class enrollment is as follows:

Undergraduate 12 credits (minimum)
Graduate 8 credits (minimum)
MDiv 9 credits (minimum)
English Language Institute (ELI) 12 clock hours (minimum)
  Fall Qtr 2.0 units (minimum)
  Winter/Spring Qtr 1.5 units (minimum)
Audited credits do not count.  

Summer semester is a vacation semester for those who start a regular school year. International students do not have to enroll for a lesser course load during summer except if the initial attendance reporting date on the I-20 or DS2019 is dated for the summer semester. If so, the student must enroll for a full study load during the summer. Additional information is available in the Office of International Student Services.

  1. International students with medical problems must provide a statement from a physician recommending an interruption or reduction in study load.
  2. Graduate international students who have completed formal course work and are engaged in comprehensive exam preparation, project, thesis or dissertation are required to register for such. Thereupon they are considered to be pursuing a full course of study.
  3. An international student who registers in his/her last semester for less than the minimum credits required must present a letter from his/her academic advisor verifying that these are the only credits that the student needs to fulfill all course requirements.
  4. An F-1 student engaged in post-completion Optional Practical Training maintains his/her full visa status. A student in F-1 status doing full-time Curricular Practical Training is also considered to be pursuing a full course of study. But if an international student is engaged in part-time Curricular Practical Training or part-time Optional Practical Training, he/she is required to enroll in classes concurrently.

Students On Exchange Visitor Visas and the Two-year Home Country Physical Presence Requirement

The two-year home country physical presence requirement is one of the most important characteristics of the Exchange Visitor J-1 status. If the international student is bound by this regulation, it will be stated on the J-1 visa and on the bottom left corner of the DS2019. Exchange Visitors, including their dependents, can apply for a waiver of the requirement to return home for two years upon completion of their studies. Without the waiver, such students are not eligible to change their status in the U.S. to another category. Neither can such students become eligible for any change of status until they have been physically present in their country of nationality or the country of last legal permanent residence for a minimum of two years following departure from the USA.

Employment For J-1 and F-1 Students

Immigration laws are very strict about employment. International students desiring to work must be sure to comply with these laws. UNAUTHORIZED OFF-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT CAN LEAD TO TERMINATION OF STUDENT VISA STATUS AND DEPORTATION.

J-1 students may engage in two kinds of employment:

  1. academic training related to the course of study, or
  2. work on-campus or off-campus (on severe economic hardship basis) for a maximum of twenty hours per week while school is in session and full-time during vacation.

J-1 students must obtain a letter from the RO or AROs authorizing employment before beginning work.

F-1 students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during vacations, breaks and holidays.

F-2 dependents cannot study or work under any circumstances while they are in the country.

Academic Training

Employment which is directly related to the course of study is permitted by the Department of State (DOS) while the J-1 student is enrolled in school, or approved for Academic Training no later than 30 days after completion of the program. The General Conference is the organization that authorizes the Academic Training once the student provides the required documents.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Employment authorization for Curricular Practical Training is given to students whose degree programs require off-campus work experience. International students may NOT begin working until the I-20 has been issued for employment authorization by the DSO. CPT is limited to twenty hours per week if the student is required to take classes during the practicum. If the CPT work is full-time, then the I-20 must be issued for full-time. For more information, contact the Office of International Student Services.

Clinicals, Practicums or Internships

International students who are paid for clinicals, practicums or internships as part of a degree program MUST apply for Curricular Practical Training and be issued a new I-20 accordingly. Failure to do so will consider their work illegal.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training is an optional work benefit for F-1 students, intended for practical work experience in their major field of study. Upon USCIS approval, a student receives work authorization to do OPT anywhere in the United States for a total of 12 months. International students may apply for the post-completion OPT during a five-month window; three months prior to the completion of the degree or 60 days after the completion of the degree.

Accepting Public Benefits is Illegal

Often hospital or medical clinic personnel encourage international students to accept Medicaid or other government benefits. DO NOT ACCEPT PUBLIC BENEFITS. Doing so is considered by USCIS to be a violation of your non-immigrant status. Such students will be required to pay back the money received and may risk deportation.

Tracking System

The USCIS created a new system called SEVIS which monitors international students. The government requires all universities and colleges to supply them with information concerning their international students through electronic submission to SEVIS. Information such as the date of commencement of studies, failure to enroll or attend classes, or any disciplinary action taken against the student due to criminal conviction, or otherwise failing to maintain student status must be reported to the government through SEVIS.

The $200 SEVIS I-901 Fee

International students are required to pay $200 for the SEVIS I-901 fee. The Office of International Student Services will send along with the I-20 the instructions concerning the different ways of paying this fee. Upon paying the SEVIS fee, the system will automatically generate a receipt which is essential for the students to present at the American Consulate in order for them to obtain the student visa. Canadians must present the SEVIS receipt at the port of entry. For additional and complete information, please visit travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html.