May 20, 2018
Rob Zdor, Coordinator
Price Hall (Science Complex)
Students interested in a dental assistant career should obtain information concerning the program from the school to which they wish to apply.
Students planning a career in dental hygiene should complete two years of college work before entering a professional school.
Upon completion of an additional two years of prescribed college work at a professional school, the student will earn a bachelors degree in dental hygiene. For more information about dental hygiene, contact the American Dental Hygienists’ Association: www.adha.org.
Although essentially a liberal arts college, the College of Arts & Sciences offers certain pre-professional curricula for students who plan to enter professional schools. For medical and paramedical curricula, Andrews University maintains a special relationship with Loma Linda University.
Pre-dental Hygiene Curriculum—64
Loma Linda University admission requirements
- At least 64 semester units of accredited college coursework
- GPA of 3.0 or higher in science courses is recommended
- Courses must be a C or higher to meet LLUSD requirements
- Science courses must be completed within five (5) years of admission
- Proficiency in verbal and written English
- 20 hours minimum of observation/shadowing
- Dental assisting experience is strongly recommended
- Three letters of reference, including: spiritual leader, science professor, and employer
- A formal interview (by invitation only)
- Official transcripts from all schools attended
The following courses are recommended for the first two years before entering Loma Linda University. Students interested in applying to other professional schools should obtain specific entrance requirements for those schools.
Specifically required courses are signified with an *.
Cultural and Spiritual Heritage—17-20
(must include both areas)
- Religion—3 semester units per year of attendance at an SDA college
- Humanities—14 semester units from three of the content areas listed below
- History & Civilization
- Art History & Art Appreciation
- Music History & Music Appreciation
- Performing Arts (4 units max)
- Foreign Language
- Philosophy & Ethics
Scientific Inquiry and Analysis—32
Physical & Natural Sciences—23
Health and Wellness—5
- 1 course covering Personal Health or Nutrition
- Physical education (2 activity courses)