Dec 08, 2022  

A Residential Campus

Residential Living Policy

Return to: Student Handbook  

Andrews University is operated as a residential college on the undergraduate level. This means that the residential environment plays a significant role in the mission of the University and its efforts to foster the holistic development of each student. 

Therefore, all single undergraduate students under 22 years of age who are 1) pursuing an on-campus degree and taking seven or more credits (including distance learning courses) or 2) enrolled in full-time language study must live in one of the University residence halls and participate in a meal plan at the University’s cafeteria. Single undergraduate students must be 22 years of age by the first day of a semester in order to be approved to live in the community for that semester.

*Special consideration may be granted for those who turn 22 by September 30 (for fall) and January 31 (for spring).

*Special consideration may be granted for those who are fifth-year seniors (attended four full years—8 fall/spring semesters—at a college/university and have 120+ earned academic credit hours).

Costs associated with residence hall living are part of the investment in an Andrews University education, thus the Student Life office does not make exceptions to the Residential Living Policy on the basis of financial need.

The ONLY alternatives to residence hall living are as follows and are at the discretion of the Student Life office:

  1. Students may live full-time within the household of a parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle or sibling age 22+ within a 45-mile radius of the University under the terms of an approved Community Residential Application.
  2. Students may live full-time with a current, full-time Andrews University faculty or staff member within a 45-mile radius of the University under the terms of an approved Community Residential Application.

Community Residential Applications may be obtained online or in the Student Life office (Campus Center, main floor). The parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle, sibling age 22+ or faculty/staff member must sign the application in person in the Student Life office and is required to present their current Michigan or Indiana driver’s license to be photocopied as proof of local residency.

Returning residential students under age 22 who meet the criteria for community living must submit applications to the Student Life office for approval prior to the semester of their expected move. Submitting an application before the deadline does not mean it is approved. The assistant to the vice president for Student Life will respond to all applications within two weeks of submission or according to the designated timeline (see below).

Semester expected to move Application deadline Response by
Fall 2014 July 1 July 15
Spring 2015 November 3 November 17

Please note the additional conditions of this policy:

  1. A “parent” is a student’s biological parent or legal step-parent. A “grandparent” is a biological parent of a student’s parent. An “aunt” or “uncle” is a biological sister or brother of a student’s parent.
  2. In keeping with the older student community environment, a student under age 22 will not be approved to live with their age 22+ sibling in University Towers.
  3. To be eligible for community housing, students must be in good and regular standing and evidence a willingness to abide by the expectations of Andrews University at the time of application.
  4. Students living in the community are expected to abide by the standards and codes of conduct outlined in the Student Handbook.
  5. Under the terms of the Community Residential Application, the parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle, sibling age 22+ or faculty/staff member must agree to live on a daily basis in the same household as the student (students must not live in a separate apartment or basement apartment with a different entrance) and to notify Student Life of any changes of address, conduct concerns, irregularities or any concern that impacts the welfare of the student.
  6. A parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle, sibling age 22+ or faculty/staff member who owns or rents more than one residence may not divide their time between residences during the school year.
  7. Application for living in the community must be made each academic year.
  8. Students are strongly advised not to make contractual agreements or financial commitments in the community before receiving full approval for community living. Student Life is not responsible for these choices or consequences.
  9. Students who make false statements to the University on a Community Residential Application jeopardize their student status and ability to reside in the community—additional consequences and/or fines may apply.

Residence Halls
The University maintains three residence halls: Lamson Hall (for women), Meier Hall (for men), and University Towers. University Towers is a residence hall designed for single, older students—Damazo is for undergraduate age 22+ and graduate females, while Burman is for undergraduate age 21+ and graduate males. Double-occupancy rooms are standard. Single occupancy is permitted by special request, if space allows, for an additional fee.

Apartments and Houses for Rent
The University owns approximately 300 apartments and 30 houses. The apartments are available to married students, students with children, and single undergraduate age 22+ and graduate students. Accommodations are available only to those who have been officially accepted as University students. Since apartments are limited, applicants are advised to apply six to nine months before their first semester of studies.

Most apartments are furnished. Tenants must supply their own linen, draperies and kitchen utensils. Unfurnished apartments have a stove and refrigerator. Heavy furniture and pianos on the second or third floor may be placed in the apartments only by prior arrangement with the University Apartments director. Pets are not allowed in University apartments or houses. The apartment descriptions, rental rates and application forms are available upon request.

University Apartments (and Houses)

Return to: Student Handbook  

Full-time students living with children and/or spouse, single graduate students or undergraduate students (22 years of age and older) may qualify for a University apartment. Apartments offered are as follows:

  • Beechwood: 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom furnished or unfurnished; 4-bedroom unfurnished
  • Garland: 1-, 2- or 3-bedroom furnished; a very limited number of 1-, 2- or 3-bedroom unfurnished; and efficiency furnished apartments for singles
  • Maplewood: 1-, 2- or 3-bedroom furnished with air-conditioning; 2-bedroom unfurnished with or without air-conditioning; and a limited number of 3-bedroom unfurnished with air-conditioning
  • A limited number of houses

For floor plans and more information, please visit

Other Accommodations
There are other accommodations in the area. You may obtain a list of area landlords at the Office of University Apartments or request a copy via email to

Community Housing

Return to: Student Handbook  

Non-Residence Hall Housing
Students 22 or older may choose to live in University apartments or in non-University housing in the community. All students in non-University housing are advised to obtain a valid lease or contract from their landlords.

Students living in non-residence hall housing must abide by the Code of Student Conduct and the Residential Living Policy. All students living off-campus must maintain high moral standards in their choice of guests and entertainment; otherwise, they could be subject to discipline. Unmarried, unrelated students must not live in the same shared dwelling with members of the opposite sex.

Campus Curfew

Return to: Student Handbook  

The University roadways are closed to general access from off-campus starting at 11 p.m. every night except for Saturday which begins at midnight. Residence hall students are expected to abide by the curfew established for their student status. Vehicles entering the campus while the campus is closed are required to enter through the Campus Safety Gatehouse located on J.N. Andrews Blvd. At that time the operator of the vehicle will be required to present either their Andrews University Identification Card or a valid driver’s license. Campus Safety reserves the right to refuse entry to the campus due to safety-related concerns.